Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Devic syndrome
- Devic's neuromyelitis optica
- Neuromyelitis optica
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Devic disease, is an autoimmune disease affecting the spinal cord and optic nerves (the nerves that carry information regarding sight from the eye). In Devic disease the protective outer covering of the nerves (myelin) is lost. The syndrome can also damage nerve fibers and leave areas of broken-down tissue. Signs and symptoms worsen with time and include optic neuritis, transverse myelitis, sensory impairment, and bladder and bowel dysfunction. Currently there is no cure for Devic disease, but there are therapies to treat an attack while it is happening, to reduce symptoms, and to prevent relapses. In its early stages, Devic disease may be confused with multiple sclerosis.
- NINDS Neuromyelitis Optica Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neuromyelitis_optica/neuromyelitis_optica.htm. Accessed November 18, 2009.
- Weinshenker BG. Neuromyelitis Optica. NORD Guide to Rare Disorders. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003.
- Weinshenker B. Neuromyelitis Optica. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Neuromyelitis%20Optica. Accessed November 18, 2009.
- Calabresi PA. Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating Conditions of the Central Nervous System. In: Goldman. Cecil Medicine, 23rd edition. Phildelphia, PA: Saunders; 2007.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Devic disease. Click on the link to go to GHR and review the information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Devic disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Karceski S. Neuromyelitis optica. Neurology. 2009; 72:e40-e42.