Print friendly version
Dextrocardia with situs inversus
Other Names for this Disease
- Situs inversus totalis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
primary ciliary dyskinesia (also known as Kartagener syndrome). In general, life expectancy for individuals with dextrocardia with situs inversus is normal.Dextrocardia with situs inversus is a condition in which the heart as well as other organs such as the lungs, liver, stomach, and gallbladder are a mirror image of the normal. A small percentage of individuals with this condition also have congenital heart disease, typically transposition of the great vessels. About a fourth of people with dextrocardia with situs inversus have
Last updated: 2/2/2011
- Wilhelm A, Holbert JM. eMedicine. February 24, 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/413679-overview. Accessed 3/30/2010.
On this page
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Cove Point Foundation part of the Johns Hopkins Children Hospital has developed an information page on dextrocardia. Click on the link above to view the information page.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Maldjian RD, Saric M. Approach to dextrocardia in adults: Review. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2007;188:S39-S49.
- Bernasconi A, Azancot A, Simpson JM, Jones A, Sharland GK. Fetal dextrocardia: Diagnosis and outcome in two tertiary centres. Heart. 2005;91:1590-1594. You may have to register to view the article by registration is free.