Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Split hand foot malformation

Other Names for this Disease
  • Ectrodactyly
  • SHFM
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

My son was born with clefts in both of his feet.  Is there any surgical solution to his condition?

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

What surgeries might be available to treat split foot?

Several types of surgery are used to treat split foot (also known as cleft foot, ectrodactyly, or "lobster claw" foot).  The aims of surgery are to allow an affected individual to wear shoes and to improve the appearance of the feet.  The type of surgery depends on the specific malformation of the foot and how severe it is.  Surgery may be done to bring two parts of the foot together, reduce the width of the foot, alter or remove toes, or replace missing toes.  If an affected individual needs surgery, it is recommended that surgery be completed in early childhood (ages 3-5) so the shape of the foot can be molded as the child ages.[1][2]
Last updated: 2/6/2013