Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Familial adenomatous polyposis

Other Names for this Disease
  • Adenomatous polyposis coli
  • Adenomatous polyposis of the colon
  • Familial adenomatous polyposis of the colon
  • Familial intestinal polyposis
  • Familial multiple polyposis
More Names
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

I have been diagnosed with familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), and my 9-year-old daughter is now having the same signs and symptoms as me. I know you can not give out medical advice, but I'm stuck and need some help for my daughter. How do I find a specialist for children with FAP?  At what age do children begin having genetic testing for FAP?

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

What is familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)?

Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) is an inherited colorectal cancer syndrome. Cancer usually develops in the lower part of the digestive system, including the large intestine (colon) and rectum. People with the classic type of familial adenomatous polyposis may begin to develop multiple noncancerous (benign) polyps (growths) in the colon as early as their teenage years. The average age at which an individual develops colon cancer in classic familial adenomatous polyposis is about 39 years. Mutations in the APC gene cause classic familial adenomatous polyposis.[1]

Last updated: 4/6/2010

How can I find a genetics professional in my area?

Genetics clinics are a source of information for individuals and families regarding genetic conditions, treatment, inheritance, and genetic risks to other family members. More information about genetic consultations is available from Genetics Home Reference. To find a genetics clinic, we recommend that you contact your primary healthcare provider for a referral.

The following online resources can help you find a genetics professional in your community:
Last updated: 10/18/2013

Can children have genetic testing for familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)?

According to the GeneTests Web site, genetic testing may be offered to children at risk for classic FAP beginning at age 8.[2] Testing may be offered earlier if the child is showing signs or symptoms of FAP.
Last updated: 4/6/2010