Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Gonococcal perihepatitis
- Perihepatitis syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
liver as a result of having pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Symptoms most often include pain in the upper right abdomen just below the ribs, fever, nausea, or vomiting. The symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease - pain in the lower abdomen and vaginal discharge - are often present as well. FHCS is usually caused by an infection of chlamydia or gonorrhea that leads to PID; it is not known why PID progresses to FHCS in some women. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome is treated with antibiotics.Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome (FHCS) is a condition in which a woman has swelling of the tissue covering the
Last updated: 3/26/2013
- Peter NG, Clark LR, Jaeger JR. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome: a diagnosis to consider in women with right upper quadrant pain. Cleveland Clinic journal of medicine. 2004; 71:233-239. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15055246/. Accessed 3/22/2013.
- Theofanakis CP, Kyriakidis AV. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome. Gynecological surgery. 2011; 8:129-134. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10397-010-0642-8?LI=true#. Accessed 3/22/2013.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.