Print friendly version
Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis
Other Names for this Disease
- Focal sclerosis with hyalinosis
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis 1
- Glomerulosclerosis, focal
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a type of kidney disorder. It is characterized by scar tissue that forms in some of the glomeruli in the kidney. FSGS may cause non-specific signs and symptoms, including protein in the urine, elevated levels of creatinine, and swelling. In many cases the cause of FSGS can not be determined. Some cases are thought to be associated with congenital kidney defects, urine backing up into the kidneys, obesity, obstructive sleep apnea, sickle cell anemia, or viruses (e.g., HIV). The goal of treatment is to control symptoms and prevent chronic kidney failure. Even with treatment, many people with FSGS progress to kidney failure within 5 to 20 years.
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. MedlinePlus. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000478.htm. Accessed August 16, 2011.
- Glomerular diseases. National Kidney & Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/glomerular/. Accessed August 16, 2011.
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). UNC Kidney Center Web site. http://www.unckidneycenter.org/kidneyhealthlibrary/fsgs.html. Accessed August 16, 2011.
On this page
- MedlinePlus, a Web site designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC), part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), conducts and supports research on a broad spectrum of diseases affecting public health. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.