Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1
Other Names for this Disease
- Hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy type 1
- HSAN 1
- Neuropathy hereditary sensory and autonomic type 1
- Neuropathy hereditary sensory radicular, autosomal dominant
sensorineural hearing loss. Symptoms typically begin during a person's teens or twenties and worsen over time. Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1 is caused by mutations in the SPTLC1 gene. It is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. As long as the symptoms are treated properly, the condition does not appear to affect life expectancy.Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1 is a neurological condition characterized by nerve abnormalities in the legs and feet. Many people with this condition have tingling, weakness, and a reduced ability to feel pain and sense hot and cold. Some affected individuals do not lose sensation, but instead feel shooting pains in their legs and feet. As the disorder progresses, the sensory abnormalities can affect the hands, arms, shoulders, and abdomen. In rare cases, people with this condition will develop
Last updated: 6/2/2014
- Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). December 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/hereditary-sensory-neuropathy-type-1. Accessed 6/2/2014.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hereditary sensory neuropathy type 1. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.