Other Names for this Disease
- Atrio digital syndrome
- Atriodigital dysplasia
- Cardiac-limb syndrome
- Heart-hand syndrome
- Heart-hand syndrome, type 1
congenital heart defects and/or cardiac conduction disease (an abnormality in the electrical system that coordinates contractions of the heart chambers). Holt-Oram syndrome is caused by mutations in the TBX5 gene and is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Most cases result from new mutations in the gene and occur in people with no family history of the condition.Holt-Oram syndrome is a genetic condition characterized by skeletal abnormalities of the hands and arms (upper limbs) and heart problems. Affected people have at least one bone abnormality in the wrist, many of which can be detected only by X-ray. Additional skeletal abnormalities may also be present. About 75% of affected people have heart problems, including
Last updated: 9/16/2014
- Holt-Oram Syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. December 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/holt-oram-syndrome. Accessed 7/19/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Holt-Oram syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Holt-Oram syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.