Print friendly version
Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 The underdeveloped left side of the heart is unable to provide enough blood flow to the body, which decreases the oxygen-rich blood supply. Babies with HLHS might look normal at birth, but will develop symptoms of HLHS within a few days. These symptoms might include: poor feeding, problems breathing, pounding heart, weak pulse, and ashen or bluish skin color. The cause of HLHs is presently unknown.Hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) is a problem with the heart’s structure that is present at birth (congenital). It occurs when parts of the left side of the heart (mitral valve, left ventricle, aortic valve, and aorta) do not develop completely.
Last updated: 7/21/2011
- Schumacher KR. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. MedlinePlus. December 2009; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001106.htm. Accessed 7/21/2011.
- Facts about Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. April 2011; http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/HLHS.html. Accessed 7/21/2011.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.