Other Names for this Disease
- Common ichthyosis
- Fish scale disease
- Ichthyosis simplex
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
lactic acid, salicylic acid, and urea. Ichthyosis vulgaris can be a nuisance, but it rarely affects overall health. The condition usually disappears during adulthood, but may return in later years. This condition is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern.Ichthyosis vulgaris is a common skin disorder passed down through families that leads to dry, scaly skin. It often begins in early childhood. Treatment may include heavy duty moisturizers which contain chemicals that help the skin to shed normally, including
Last updated: 10/18/2013
- Ichthyosis vulgaris. MedlinePlus. May 2011; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001451.htm. Accessed 1/24/2013.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Ichthyosis vulgaris. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- DermNetNZ provides information on ichthyosis in general. DermNetNZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Ichthyosis vulgaris. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.