Other Names for this Disease
- Histiocytic necrotising lymphadenitis
- Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis
- Kikuchi necrotizing lymphadenitis
- Kikuchi's disease
- Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
lymphadenopathy (tender, swollen lymph nodes), mild fever, and night sweats. Less common symptoms include weight loss, nausea, vomiting, and sore throat. While the exact cause of this condition has not been proven, infectious and autoimmune causes have been suggested, such as an immune response to a viral infection. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive and may include pain relievers or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), and corticosteroids in rare cases. Most cases go away on their own within 1 to 6 months.Kikuchi disease is a benign (non-cancerous) condition of the lymph nodes. It is usually characterized by cervical
Last updated: 10/15/2014
- Bosch X & Guilabert A. Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease. Orphanet. 2006; http://www.ojrd.com/content/1/1/18 . Accessed 4/6/2011.
- Boone J, Kuzma CS. Kikuchi Disease. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/210752-overview. Accessed 4/6/2011.
- Michael J. Richards. Kikuchi disease. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; October, 2014; Accessed 10/15/2014.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference has 2 articles on this topic from the perspective of Hematology and Dermatology. You may need to register to view the information online, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Kikuchi disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.