Other Names for this Disease
- Kohler's Disease
- Kohler's Disease of the Tarsal Navicular
- Kohler's Osteochondrosis of the Tarsal Navicular
- Navicular Osteochondrosis
 Signs and symptoms are usually mild and may include limping, swelling and pain in the affected foot. The condition most often affects children aged 3 to 5 years and usually involves just one foot. Although the underlying cause it not well understood, it is thought to be due to interruption of blood flow to the navicular bone, resulting in degeneration of the bone. Treatment may involve rest and avoidance of excessive weight-bearing.Kohler disease is a condition that involves a bone at the arch of the foot called the tarsal navicular bone. In this condition, the tarsal navicular bone breaks into fragments before healing and hardening.
Last updated: 7/20/2012
- Köhler's Bone Disease. Merck Manuals. February 2008; http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/childrens_health_issues/bone_disorders_in_children/k%C3%B6hlers_bone_disease.html?qt=kohler&alt=sh#v821464. Accessed 7/20/2012.
- Osteochondroses. MERCK Manual. 2005; http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch284/ch284j.html. Accessed 4/1/2009.
- Vargas B. Köhler Disease. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1234753-overview. Accessed 4/1/2009.
- Kohler disease. NORD. February 5, 2008; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/800/viewAbstract. Accessed 4/25/2014.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Kohler disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.