Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Krabbe leukodystrophy

Other Names for this Disease
  • Galactocerebrosidase deficiency
  • Galactosylceramide beta-galactosidase deficiency
  • GALC deficiency
  • GCL
  • GLD
More Names
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.


Newline Maker

How is Krabbe leukodystrophy inherited?

Krabbe leukodystrophy is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. If both parents are carriers (each having one working copy of the gene and one non-working copy), each child that they have has a 25% chance (1 in 4) of being affected (having the condition), a 50% chance (1 in 2) of being an asymptomatic carrier (like each parent), and a 25% chance of being unaffected (not having the condition) and also not being a carrier. If a sibling of a child with Krabbe leukodystrophy is already known to be unaffected, the chance of him/her being a carrier is 2/3.[1]
Last updated: 11/23/2010

  1. David A Wenger. Krabbe disease. GeneReviews. August 5, 2008; Accessed 11/23/2010.