Print friendly version
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Leiomyosarcoma is a type of sarcoma. It spreads through the blood stream and can affect the lungs, liver, blood vessels, or any other soft tissue in the body. It is most often found in the uterus or abdomen.Leiomyosarcoma is a rare cancerous tumor that consists of smooth (involuntary) muscle cells.
Last updated: 8/3/2010
- Vorvick LJ. Leiomyosarcoma. MedlinePlus. January 31, 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000916.htm. Accessed 8/3/2010.
- What is Leiomyosarcoma?. LMSarcoma Direct Research Foundation. http://www.lmsdr.org/whatislms.php. Accessed 8/3/2010.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Cancer Institute provides the most current information on cancer for patients, health professionals, and the general public. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.