Other Names for this Disease
- Accelerated skeletal maturation - peculiar facies - failure to thrive
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Less than 40 cases have been reported in the literature, mostly as single case reports or small series. Early death is common due to respiratory complications. The cause of this disease remains unknown, but its sporadic occurrence suggests a de novo (new) dominant mutation. Aggressive management of the early respiratory and feeding problems may improve survival in individuals affected by this condition.Marshall-Smith syndrome is a malformation syndrome characterized by advanced bone age, failure to thrive, respiratory problems, dysmorphic facial features, and variable mental retardation.
Last updated: 1/15/2010
- Marshall-Smith Syndrome. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM). 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=602535. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Travan L, Oretti C, Zennaro F, Demarini S. Am J Med Genet A. 2008; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18627063. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Watanabe Y, Tanaka Y, Umemura N, Koitabashi T. Masui. 2003; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13677277. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Babu D. What is Marshall-Smith Syndrome?. MSS Research Foundation. 2007; http://www.marshallsmith.org/content/view/1/2/lang,en/. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Philip N. Marshall-Smith syndrome. Orphanet. 2006; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=561. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Deshpande C, Forrest M, Russell-Eggitt I, Hall CM, Mehta R, Paterson J. Clin Dysmorphol. 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16531739. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- Williams DK, Carlton DR, Green SH, Pearman K, Cole TR. J Med Genet. 1997; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9350818. Accessed 1/15/2010.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Marshall-Smith syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.