Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Melnick-Needles osteodysplasty
- Osteodysplasty of Melnick and Needles
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
ossicles), problems in the development of the roof of the mouth (palate), and skeletal abnormalities involving the fingers and/or toes (digits). Melnick-Needles syndrome is usually the most severe of the otopalatodigital spectrum disorders. This condition is caused by a mutation in the FLNA gene, and it has X-linked dominant inheritance.Melnick-Needles syndrome is a rare disorder involving abnormalities in skeletal development and other health problems. It is a member of a group of related conditions called otopalatodigital spectrum disorders, which typically involve hearing loss caused by malformations in the tiny bones in the ears (
Last updated: 11/3/2010
- Melnick-Needles syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. November 2007; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/melnick-needles-syndrome. Accessed 11/2/2010.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Melnick-Needles syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Melnick-Needles syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Robertson, et al. Postzygotic mutation and germline mosaicism in the otopalatodigital syndrome spectrum disorders. European Journal of Human Genetics (2006) 14, 549–554. published online 15 March 2006