autoimmune neuromuscular disease. It is characterized by varying degrees of weakness of the skeletal muscles of the body. Common symptoms include weakness of the muscles that control the eye and eyelid, facial expression, chewing, talking, and swallowing. Weakness tends to increase during periods of activity and improves after periods of rest.Myasthenia gravis is a chronic
Last updated: 3/11/2009
- Myasthenia Gravis Fact Sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). 2008; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myasthenia_gravis/detail_myasthenia_gravis.htm. Accessed 9/18/2008.
- The Muscular Dystrophy Association provides additional information on myasthenia gravis. Click on the link to view this information page.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Myasthenia gravis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.