Other Names for this Disease
- Cataract dental syndrome
- Cataract X-linked with Hutchinsonian teeth
- Mesiodens cataract syndrome
cataracts, resulting in poor vision. Additional eye abnormalities are also often present, including a very small cornea and nystagmus. In some cases, the condition may also be associated with additional physical abnormalities and/or intellectual disability. The range and severity of symptoms may vary greatly from one person to another, even among affected members of the same family. Nance-Horan syndrome is caused by a mutation in the NHS gene and is inherited as an X-linked dominant trait, which means that both males and females can be affected, but males often have more severe symptoms.Nance-Horan syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that may be evident at birth. It is characterized by teeth abnormalities and
Last updated: 8/22/2011
- Nance-Horan Syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2011; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/1055/viewAbstract. Accessed 8/22/2011.
- Nance-Horan syndrome. Orphanet. September 2007; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=931. Accessed 8/22/2011.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Nance-Horan syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.