Print friendly version
Niemann-Pick disease type C1
Other Names for this Disease
- Neurovisceral storage disease with vertical supranuclear ophthalmoplegia
- Niemann-Pick disease with cholesterol esterification block
- Niemann-Pick disease, chronic neuronopathic form
- Niemann-Pick disease, subacute juvenile form
- Niemann-Pick disease, type C
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
These Web pages are updated as the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center receives questions and as new information becomes available. If you don’t see many information resources on this page, it may be because the Information Center hasn’t yet received a question about this condition.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Niemann-Pick disease type C1. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Niemann-Pick disease type C1. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy provides information on the treatment of lysosomal storage diseases.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Niemann-Pick disease type C1. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Niemann-Pick disease type C1. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.