Other Names for this Disease
- Acute myeloid leukemia with t(6;9)(p23;q34)
- AMLa with t(6;9)(p23;q34)
- Lichen myxedematosus
- Lichen myxoedematosus
- Localized lichen myxedematosus
mucin in the skin. The terms "papular mucinosis" and "lichen myxoedematosus" are generally used interchangeably to describe the occurrence of this condition as a localized and less severe form, while the term scleromyxoedema refers to a generalized, more severe form. Signs and symptoms of the condition include the presence of small, firm, waxy papules on the skin that are confined to a few sites on the body. Affected individuals are typically otherwise healthy. The cause of the condition is unknown, but it is commonly associated with monoclonal gammopathy. It has also been reported in association with bone marrow cancers as well HIV infection, hepatitis C, exposure to toxic oil and contaminated L-tryptophan. Localized papular mucinosis typically does not require therapy, but topical corticosteroids and oral isotretinoin may help to reduce hardening of the skin.Papular mucinosis is a rare skin disorder characterized by deposits of
Last updated: 3/19/2012
- Lichen myxoedematosus. DermNet NZ. June 29, 2011; http://dermnetnz.org/immune/scleromyxoedema.html. Accessed 3/19/2012.
- Elizabeth A Liotta. Lichen Myxedematosus. eMedicine. January 17, 2012; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1074545-overview. Accessed 3/19/2012.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Papular mucinosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.