Other Names for this Disease
- Familial pars planitis (subtype)
- Infectious posterior uveitis
- Intermediate uveitis
- Peripheral retinal inflammation
inflammation of the pars plana, a small area of tissue next to the iris that is responsible for making aqueous humor (the fluid in the eye that nourishes the lens and cornea). Pars planitis is often referred to as intermediate uveitis because the pars plana is a part of the uvea. This condition most often affects young men and is generally not associated with any other disease or symptoms (idiopathic). However, there have been a few case reports of an association with Crohn's disease, and some experts suggest a possible association with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, cat scratch or Lyme disease.Pars planitis is a disease of the eye in which there is
Last updated: 4/8/2012
- Vorvick L, Lusby FW. Uveitis. MedlinePlus. 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001005.htm. Accessed 6/8/2011.
- Foster S. Treatment Algorithm for Pars Planitis. Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation. http://www.uveitis.org/medical/treatment/algo4.html. Accessed 6/8/2011.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology provides information about pars planitis. Click on the link to view the information related to this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pars planitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.