Other Names for this Disease
- Folling disease
- Oligophrenia phenylpyruvica
- Phenylalanine hydroxylase deficiency
- Women with PKU who want to become pregnant can obtain a maternal express packet of information from the Children's PKU Network - free of charge - designed to assist women with their diet.
- Wappner, et al. Management of Phenylketonuria for Optimal Outcome: A Review of Guidelines for Phenylketonuria Management and a Report of Surveys of Parents, Patients, and Clinic Directors. Pediatrics.1999;104:e68.
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions. Click on the link to view the article on this topic.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Panel. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement: Phenylketonuria: Screening and Management October 16-18, 2000. Pediatrics. 2001;108:972-982.
- You can find diet-related information on the PKU News Web site. Click on the link to view.
Medical ProductsThe medication(s) listed in the table(s) below have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of this condition. The FDA Office of Orphan Products Development designates "orphan products" for those that treat rare diseases affecting fewer than 200,000 Americans. The table(s) below may not be an exhaustive list of drugs or products used to treat this condition. There may be other products available that are not considered orphan products. To search for all FDA approved drugs, visit Drugs@FDA. You can find orphan products used to treat other conditions by searching the Orphan Drug Product Designation database.
(Biomarin Pharmaceutical Inc.)
The FDA has approved this product to be used in this manner.
|Indicated to reduce blood phenylalanine (Phe) levels in patients with hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive Phenylketonuria (PKU). Kuvan is to be used in conjunction with a Phe-restricted diet.|
|More Information about this product||
Drug Information Portal
Medline Plus Health Information