Other Names for this Disease
- Poland anomaly
- Poland sequence
- Poland syndactyly
- Poland's syndrome
- Unilateral defect of pectoralis muscle and syndactyly of the hand
Management of Poland syndrome may include surgical correction of the chest wall deformities. Surgical options are available to improve appearance in both males and females. In females, full breast reconstruction is performed at the time of full normal breast development and can be planned in conjunction with or following reconstruction of the chest wall. In males reconstruction of the chest may not be necessary if there is no underlying chest wall deformity. The optimal surgical approach will vary from patient to patient. Surgical options should be discussed with a surgeon familiar with reconstructive surgery in people with Poland syndrome.
Last updated: 6/25/2011
- Greydanus DE, Matytsina L, Gains M. Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Prim Care Clin Office Pract. 2006;
- Borschel GH et al.,. Individualized implant-based reconstruction of Poland syndrome breast and soft tissue defomities. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2007;
- Breast Problems. The American Pediatric Surgical Association. http://tinyurl.com/y8lhy4o. Accessed 9/30/2010.
- The Centers for Mendelian Genomics program is working to discover the causes of rare genetic disorders. For more information about applying to the research study, please visit their website.