Prinzmetal's variant angina
Other Names for this Disease
- Prinzmetal angina
- Variant angina
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 This condition is a form of unstable angina because the episodes do not occur in a predictable pattern. Prinzmetal's variant angina may occur spontaneously, or it may be caused by exposure to cold, emotional stress, alcohol withdrawal, or vasoconstricting medications. The symptoms of this condition usually respond to treatment. Individuals with Prinzmetals' variant angina may have a higher risk for heart attack or arrhythmia.Prinzmetal's variant angina is characterized by recurrent episodes of chest pain that occur while an individual is at rest.
Last updated: 1/24/2011
- Prinzmetal's angina. HeartHealthyWomen.org. http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/cardiovascular-disease/prinzmetals-angina/prinzmetals-angina.html. Accessed 1/24/2011.
- Zieve D, Chen MA. Coronary artery spasm. MedlinePlus. 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000159.htm. Accessed 1/24/2011.
- The American Heart Association provides more information on the different types of angina, including Prinzmetal's variant angina. Click on the American Heart Association link to view this information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) provides leadership for a national program in diseases of the heart, blood vessels, lung, and blood; blood resources; and sleep disorders. Since October 1997, the NHLBI has also had administrative responsibility for the NIH Woman's Health Initiative. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- PubMed lists journal articles that discuss Prinzmetal's variant angina. Click on the link to go to PubMed and review citations to these articles.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Prinzmetal's variant angina. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.