Other Names for this Disease
- Syndrome of pseudomyxoma peritonei
tumor that most often begins in the appendix. As the tumor grows, tumor cells may spread into the peritoneal cavity and land on other nearby organs (such as the ovaries or intestines), sometimes forming additional tumors on the surface of these organs. Pseudomyxoma peritonei is extremely unlikely to grow into these organs (to become invasive) or spread to more distant parts of the body (metastasize); therefore, it is not usually thought of as a malignant tumor. It is rare, occurring in approximately two out of a million people, and women are affected two to three times more frequently than men. The first symptoms of pseudomyxoma peritonei are an increase in the size of the belly, appendicitis, or the finding of a mass on the ovary during medical imaging tests.Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a
Last updated: 9/27/2011
- Smeenk RM, Bruin SC, van Velthuysen ML, Verwaal VJ. Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. Current Problems in Surgery. 2008; 45:527-575. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18590843. Accessed 9/21/2011.
- Sugarbaker PH. New standard of care for appendiceal epithelial neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome?. Lancet Oncology. 2006; 7:69-76. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16389186. Accessed 9/23/2011.
- Yan TD, Black D, Savady R, Sugarbaker PH. A systematic review on the efficacy of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2007; 14:484-492. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17054002. Accessed 9/21/2011.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.