Print friendly version
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, polyarthritis (an inflammation of several joints together), gammopathy, and other conditions . Pyoderma gangrenosum belongs to a group of skin diseases in which a common cellular denominator is the neutrophil. Neutrophils are a type of white blood cell or leukocyte which form an early line of defense against bacterial infections. Each year in the United States, pyoderma gangrenosum occurs in about 1 person per 100.000 people.Pyoderma gangrenosum is a rare, destructive inflammatory skin disease of which a painful nodule or pustule breaks down to form a progressively enlarging ulcer. Lesions may occur either in the absence of any apparent underlying disorder or in association with other diseases, such as
Last updated: 4/26/2011
- Freedberg IM, Eisen AZ, Wolff K. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th ed.. New York: McGraw Hill; 2003;
- Jackson JM, Callen JP. Pyoderma Gangrenosum. eMedicine. March 23, 2010; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1123821-overview. Accessed 4/26/2011.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pyoderma gangrenosum. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.