Other Names for this Disease
- Postpartum hypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitary syndrome
- Postpartum pituitary necrosis
- Simmond's disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Tests & Diagnosis
On this page
Diagnosis of Sheehan syndrome can be difficult. The diagnosis is based on clinical evidence of hypopituitarism in a woman with a history of severe postpartum bleeding. Blood tests to measure hormone levels and CT scan of the head (to rule out other pituitary problems such as a tumor) may help to confirm the diagnosis.
Last updated: 8/25/2011
- Schrager S, Sabo L. J Am Board Fam Med. 2001; http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/reprint/14/5/389.pdf. Accessed 2/23/2010.
- Sheehan's syndrome. MayoClinic.com. 2009; http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/sheehans-syndrome/DS00889/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print. Accessed 2/23/2010.
- Vorvick L, Storck S. Sheehan syndrome. MedlinePlus. 2008; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001175.htm. Accessed 2/23/2010.