Other Names for this Disease
- Erythema multiforme major
Your QuestionI have a friend whose grandson recently died from complications associated with Stevens-Johnson syndrome. I have not been able to find information about this condition. What information can you provide?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
- What is Stevens-Johnson syndrome?
- What are the signs and symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome?
- What causes Stevens-Johnson syndrome?
- What complications may be associated with Stevens-Johnson syndrome?
- How might Stevens-Johnson syndrome be treated?
- What is the prognosis for individuals with Stevens-Johnson syndrome?
Possible complications of Stevens-Johnson syndrome include:
- Secondary skin infections (cellulitis) - which can lead to life-threatening complications like meningitis and sepsis
- Sepsis - which occurs when bacteria from an infection enters the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body, possibly leading to shock and organ failure
- Eye Problems - which may include extensive tissue damage and scarring which may result in blindness
- Damage to internal organs - which may involve the lungs, heart, kidney and liver
- Permanent skin damage - which may include abnormal bumps and pigmentation as well as hair loss and abnormal growth of the finger and toe nails
Treatment of severe symptoms may include:
- Antibiotics to control any skin infections
- Corticosteroids to control inflammation
- Intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) to stop the disease process
Treatment for the eye may include artificial tears, antibiotics, or corticosteroids.
- Facts About The Cornea and Corneal Disease. National Eye Institute (NEI). 2010; http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease/#m. Accessed 3/15/2010.
- Roujeau JC. Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Orphanet. 2009; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=36426. Accessed 3/15/2010.
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome. MayoClinic.com. 2009; http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevens-johnson-syndrome/DS00940/METHOD=print. Accessed 3/15/2010.
- Zieve D, Eltz DR. Erythema multiforme. MedlinePlus. 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000851.htm. Accessed 3/15/2010.