Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Transverse myelitis

See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

How might pain caused by transverse myelitis be treated?

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

Are there any research studies investigating new therapies for the treatment of pain due to transverse myelitis?

The National Institutes of Health, through the National Library of Medicine, developed to provide patients, family members, and members of the public with current information on clinical research studies. While no studies investigating new pain treatments in people with pain due to transverse myelitis specifically, there are a number of studies enrolling patients with pain due to spinal cord injury in general. To find these trials, click here.

You can also contact the Patient Recruitment and Public Liaison (PRPL) Office at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). We recommend calling the toll-free number listed below to speak with a specialist, who can help you determine if you are eligible for any clinical trials.

Patient Recruitment and Public Liaison Office (PRPL)
NIH Clinical Center
Bethesda, Maryland 20892-2655
Toll-free: 800-411-1222
Fax: 301-480-9793
Web site:

If you are interested in enrolling in a clinical trial, you can find helpful general information on clinical trials at the following Web page.

A tutorial about clinical trials that can also help answer your questions can be found at the following link from the National Library of Medicine.

Resources on many charitable or special-fare flights to research and treatment sites and low-cost hospitality accommodations for outpatients and family members, as well as ambulance services, are listed on the Web site of the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD), part of the National Institutes of Health.

Last updated: 11/21/2008

How might pain caused by transverse myelitis be treated?

Chronic pain is a common complication of transverse myelitis.[1][2] An array of drugs exist to help alleviate pain caused by transverse myelitis, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen), antidepressant drugs (e.g., amitryptyline (tricyclic) and sertraline) and anticonvulsant drugs (e.g., phenytoin and gabapentine). In addition physiatrists and physical therapists are often involved in helping people manage and reduce their pain.[1][2]

The following organizations are able to provide you with more information on this topic.

The Transverse Myelitis Center at Johns Hopkins University
Attn: Mary Brown
Pathology 627
600 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Phone: 410-614-1522
Fax: 410-502-6736
Web site:  
Information on long-term care (including for pain):

Tranverse Myelitis Association
1787 Sutter Parkway
Powell, OH 43065-8806
Phone: 614-766-1806
Web site:  

American Chronic Pain Association (ACPA)
P.O. Box 850
Rocklin, CA 95677-0850
Toll-free: 800-533-3231
Phone: 916-632-0922
Fax: 916-632-3208
Web stie:  

National Rehabilitation Information Center (NARIC)
4200 Forbes Boulevard Suite 202
Lanham, MD 20706-4829
Phone: 301-459-5900 or 301-459-5984
TTY: 800-346-2742
Fax: 301-562-2401
Web site:  
Last updated: 11/21/2008