Print friendly version
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's)
Other Names for this Disease
- Midline granulomatosis
- Wegener granulomatosis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Wegener's granulomatosis is a type of vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels. This limits the flow of blood to important organs, causing damage. It can affect any organ, but it mainly affects the sinuses, nose, trachea (windpipe), lungs and kidneys. Symptoms can vary in nature and severity, and may include sinus pain; discolored or bloody fluid from the nose; nasal ulcers; constant runny nose (rhinorrhea); joint pain; weakness; tiredness; and/or skin lesions. The cause of Wegener's granulomatosis is unknown. Early treatment is important. Most people improve with medicines to slow or stop the inflammation.
Last updated: 7/27/2011
- Wegener's Granulomatosis . MedlinePlus. 2011; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/wegenersgranulomatosis.html. Accessed 4/7/2011.
- Wegener's Granulomatosis. NIAID. April 26, 2011; http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/wegeners/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed 7/27/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference contains information on Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) supports scientists developing better ways to diagnose, treat, and prevent the many infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases that afflict people worldwide. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.