Other Names for this Disease
- Familial Felty's syndrome
- Felty syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis, splenomegaly and neutropenia
- Splenomegaly-neutropenia-rheumatoid arthritis syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
The exact cause of Felty's syndrome is unknown, although several causes and risk factors have been proposed. Some experts believe it may be an autoimmune disorder, and that it may sometimes be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Other proposed risk factors have included:
- RF (rheumatoid factor) positivity - being positive for a test used to help diagnose rheumatoid arthritis
- long-term rheumatoid arthritis
- aggressive and erosive synovitis (inflammation of the tissue that lines the joints)
- HLA-DR4 positivity (having a specific gene for the immune system that is associated with RA) and DR4 homozygosity (having 2 identical copies of this gene)
- extra-articular RA manifestations (symptoms that are not joint-related)
Last updated: 1/6/2011
- Felty Syndrome. NORD. December 31, 2010; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Felty%20Syndrome. Accessed 1/6/2011.
- Richard M Keating. Felty syndrome. eMedicine. December 3, 2008; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/329734-overview. Accessed 1/6/2011.