Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Diabetic fibrous breast disease
- Diabetic fibrous mastopathy
- Lymphocytic mastitis
- Lymphocytic mastopathy
- Sclerosing lymphocytic lobulitis
 The cause of this condition is unknown. Symptoms may include hard, irregular, easily movable, discrete, painless breast mass(es).Diabetic mastopathy are noncancerous lesions in the breast most commonly diagnosed in premenopausal women with type 1 diabetes.
Last updated: 7/24/2013
- Keyoung JA Zuurbier CA, Tsangaris TN, Azumi N, Makariou E. Diabetic Mastopathy. Applied Radiology. 2003; http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462248_3. Accessed 10/15/2009.
- Honda M, Mori Y, Nishi T, Mizuguchi K, Ishibashi M. Diabetic mastopathy of bilateral breasts in an elderly Japanese woman with type 2 diabetes: a case report and a review of the literature in Japan. Intern Med. Epub 2007 Sep 14; https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/internalmedicine/46/18/46_18_1573/_article. Accessed 10/15/2009.
- Sotome K, Ohnishi T, Miyoshi R, Nakamaru M, Furukawa A, Miyazaki H, Morozumi K, Tanaka Y, Iri H. An Uncommon Case of Diabetic Mastopathy in Type II Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus. Breast Cancer. 2006; https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jbcs/13/2/13_2_205/_article. Accessed 10/15/2009.
- Tsung JS, Wang TY, Lin CK. Diabetic mastopathy in type II diabetes mellitus. J Formos Med Assoc. 2005; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Tsung+JS%2C+Wang+TY%2C+Lin+CK. Accessed 10/15/2009.
- Ely KA, Tse G, Simpson JF, Clarfeld R, Page DL. Diabetic mastopathy: a clinicopathologic review. Am J Clin Pathol. 2000 Apr; http://ajcp.metapress.com/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,10,16;journal,96,99;linkingpublicationresults,1:300401,1. Accessed 10/15/2009.
- What you need to know about breast cancer. National Cancer Institute. 2005 ; http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/breast/page1. Accessed 10/15/2009.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Diabetic mastopathy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Ely RA, Tse G, Simpson JF, Clarfeld R, Page D. Diabetic Mastopathy: Clinicopathologic Review. Anatomic Pathology. 2000; 113:541-545.