Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Hyperostosis frontalis interna, obesity, shortness and cognitive impairment
- MSM syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Morgagni-Stewart-Morel (MSM) syndrome is a condition characterized by thickening of the frontal bone of the skull (hyperostosis frontalis interna), as well as obesity and excessive hair growth (hypertrichosis) in some individuals. Other signs and symptoms may include seizures, headaches, diabetes insipidus, and sex gland disturbances. The cause of Morgagni-Stewart-Morel syndrome is not fully understood. Some instances of dominant inheritance have been reported, but whether it is autosomal dominant or X-linked dominant is not known.
- Morgagni-Stewart-Morel syndrome. Orphanet. http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=77296. Accessed March 25, 2011.
- Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna. NORD. http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Hyperostosis%20Frontalis%20Interna. Accessed March 25, 2011.
- Victor A. McKusick et al. HYPEROSTOSIS FRONTALIS INTERNA. OMIM. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/omim/144800. Accessed March 25, 2011.
On this page
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Morgagni-Stewart-Morel syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Morgagni-Stewart-Morel syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.