Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors
Other Names for this Disease
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Sarcoma
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Last updated: 4/27/2010
- General Information About Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma. National Cancer Institute. September 10, 2009; http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adult-soft-tissue-sarcoma/Patient/page1. Accessed 4/27/2010.
- The American Cancer Society (ACS) has developed a detailed guide on GIST. To access this guide, visit the ACS link.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Pediatric GIST.org provides medical information and builds an international support network for those with pediatric and wild-type gastrointestinal stromal tumors and funds research to find a cure for this cancer.
- The Global GIST Network is a directory of resources available to people with Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors and their families. This directory serves to help people throughout the world find local resources and support.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The GIST News.org Web page provides up-to-date information about the latest news related to GIST. Click on the link above to view this resource.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.