Granulosa cell tumor of the ovary
Other Names for this Disease
- Adult granulosa cell tumor of the ovary
- GCT of the ovary
- Granulosa theca cell tumor
- Granulosa theca cell tumor of the ovary
sex cord-stromal tumor and usually occurs in adults. Granulosa cell tumors of the ovary cause higher than normal levels of estrogen in a woman's body. The symptoms of this excess estrogen depend on the woman's menstrual status; the most common symptoms include early puberty for affected young girls, an increase in abdomen size or irregularities of menstrual cycles in premenopausal women, and abnormal uterine bleeding in postmenopausal women. The exact cause of granulosa cell tumors is unknown. Treatment consists of surgery to remove the tumor, and additional treatments may also be used depending on the extent of the tumor.Granulosa cell tumor of the ovary is a rare type of ovarian cancer that accounts for approximately 2% of all ovarian tumors. This type of tumor is known as a
Last updated: 11/14/2011
- Michener CM, Starks DC. Granulosa-Theca Cell Tumors . eMedicine. Janaury 2010; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/254489-overview#showall. Accessed 11/9/2011.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Granulosa cell tumor of the ovary. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.