Other Names for this Disease
- Median fissure of nose
- Nose, median cleft of
 It is often associated with hypertelorbitism and midline clefts of the lip. The airway usually is adequate despite the cosmetic appearance associated with the condition. Both autosomal recessive and autosomal dominant inheritance of a bifid nose has been observed. It may also occur with frontonasal dysplasia (a condition in with several possible findings limited to the head and neck), for which several inheritance patterns have been reported. Treatment typically consists of surgical reconstruction to repair the malformation.A bifid nose is a relatively uncommon malformation that is characterized by the nose being divided into two parts. There is a large degree of variability in the severity of the condition, ranging from a minimally noticeable groove down the center of the nasal tip to a complete clefting of the underlying bones and cartilage, resulting in 2 complete half noses.
Last updated: 7/1/2011
- Miller PJ, Grinberg D, Wang TD. Midline cleft. Treatment of the bifid nose. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. July-Sept 1999; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10937104. Accessed 7/1/2011.
- Paul W. Flint et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. USA: Mosby Elsevier; 2010;
- Victor A. McKusick. Bifid Nose, Autosomal Recessive. OMIM. 1986; http://omim.org/210400. Accessed 7/1/2011.
- Marla J. F. O'Neill . FRONTONASAL DYSPLASIA 1; FND1. OMIM. June 17, 2010; http://omim.org/entry/136760. Accessed 7/1/2011.
On this page
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Bifid nose, autosomal recessive
Bifid nose, autosomal dominant
Bifid nose with or without anorectal and renal anomalies
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Bifid nose. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.