Merkel cell carcinoma
Other Names for this Disease
- Carcinoma, merkel cell
- Merkel cell cancer
- Merkle tumors
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
aggressive), meaning that it can spread quickly to surrounding tissues, nearby lymph nodes, or more distant parts of the body. Merkel cell carcinoma is diagnosed by biopsy, when some of the tissue is removed and examined under a microscope. In 2007, approximately 1500 people in the United States were diagnosed with this type of cancer. Treatment depends on the size of the cancer and the extent to which it has spread as determined by imaging studies.Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare type of skin cancer that appears as a painless, hardened, red to purplish bump. It occurs primarily in sun-exposed skin of the head and neck, though it can also occur on the skin of the arms, legs, and trunk. It is considered fast-growing (
Last updated: 5/28/2011
- National Cancer Institute. General Information about Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Merkel Cell Carcinoma Treatment. 2011; http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/merkelcell/healthprofessional. Accessed 5/22/2011.
- The National Cancer Institute provides the most current information on cancer for patients, health professionals, and the general public. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Merkel cell carcinoma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.