Print friendly version
* Not a rare disease
* Not a rare disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Autoimmune vasculitis
- Vasculitis, autoimmune
temporal arteritis, primary angiitis of the central nervous system, Takayasu disease, periarteritis nodosa, Kawasaki disease, Churg-Strauss syndrome, Wegener granulomatosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren syndrome, Behcet disease and others. Signs and symptoms of vasculitis vary depending on the form and on the part of the body affected. In general, the cause of vasculitis is thought to be a faulty immune system response. Treatment of vasculitis depends upon the specific diagnosis. Most of forms of vasculitis respond well to steroid drugs. Some may also require treatment with an immunosuppressive drug, such as cyclophosphamide.Vasculitis is an inflammation of the vascular system, which includes the veins, arteries, and capillaries. There are many different forms of vasculitis, including
Last updated: 3/12/2009
- NINDS Vasculitis Syndromes of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. 2008; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/vasculitis/vasculitis.htm. Accessed 3/12/2009.
- What Is Vasculitis?. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. 2006; http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vas/vas_whatis.html. Accessed 3/12/2009.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Vasculitis. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis CenterWeb site has an information page on this topic. Click on the link above to view this information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Vasculitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Torpy JM, Lynm C, Glass RM. Vasculitis. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2007; 289(6):706.