Other Names for this Disease
- Idiopathic retroperitoneal fibrosis
- Ormond's disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy or chronic bilateral obstructive uropathy. Risk factors for retroperitoneal fibrosis include asbestos exposure, smoking, tumor, infection, trauma, radiotherapy, surgery, and use of certain drugs.Retroperitoneal fibrosis is a slowly progressive disorder in which the tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder (ureters) and other abdominal organs are blocked by a fibrous mass and inflammation in the back of the abdomen. The disorder may cause
Last updated: 10/15/2013
- Vorvick LJ. Retroperitoneal fibrosis. MedlinePlus. March 17, 2011; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000463.htm. Accessed 10/15/2013.
- Vaglio A, Salvarani C, Buzio C. Retroperitoneal fibrosis. Lancet. 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=16427494%5Buid%5D. Accessed 10/15/2013.
- Goldoni M, Bonini S, Urban ML, Palmisano A, De Palma G, Galletti E, Coggiola M, Buzio C, Mutti A, Vaglio A. Asbestos and smoking as risk factors for idiopathic retroperitoneal fibrosis: a case-control study. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Aug 5; 161(3):181-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25089862. Accessed 10/15/2014.
- Genetics Home Reference contains information on Retroperitoneal fibrosis. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Retroperitoneal fibrosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.