Print friendly version
Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis
Other Names for this Disease
- Nephrogenic Fibrosing Dermopathy
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
contractures, and pruritis (itching). The skin findings are similar to those seen in patients with scleroderma. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis was first described in 1997. Being exposed to gadolinium-containing contrast agents during MRI testing has been identified as a significant risk factor for development of this disease.Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is a condition that affects different parts of the body, particularly the skin. Symptoms of the condition may include progressive swelling and tightening of the skin, sometimes resulting in
Last updated: 4/24/2013
- Sweeney S, Cropley TG. Cutaneous Changes in Renal Disorders. In: Freedberg IM, Eisen AZ, Wolff K, Austen KF, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. Vol 2. 6th ed. United States: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.; 2003: 1623..
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. http://www.mayoclinic.org/nephrogenic-systemic-fibrosis/. Accessed 4/24/2013.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- The International Scleroderma Network (ISN) provides information on nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy since the skin symptoms of NFD are scleroderma-like. Click on the ISN link to view the information.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.