Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Antopol disease
- Glycogen storage cardiomyopathy
- Glycogen storage disease limited to the heart
- Glycogen storage disease type 2b (formerly)
- GSD2B (formerly)
 Lysosomes are compartments within the cell that use enzymes to break down large molecules into smaller ones that the cell can use. In Danon disease there is a defect in the wall (membrane) of the lysosome. The defect is caused by mutations in the LAMP2 gene. Danon disease is chiefly characterized by cardiomyopathy (heart disease), although other signs and symptoms may occur as well. Danon disease is inherited in an X-linked fashion, as a result males tend to be more severely affected than females. Females who carry the LAMP2 gene mutation may or may not develop signs and symptoms.Danon disease is a type of lysosomal storage disorder.
Last updated: 3/19/2010
- Danon disease. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man. March 19, 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=300257. Accessed 1/1/2008.
- Yang Z et al. Danon disease as an underrecognized cause of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in children. Circulation. 2005;
- Maron BJ et al. Clinical outcome and phenotypic expression in LAMP2 cardiomyopathy. JAMA. 2009;
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Danon disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Maron BJ, Roberts WC, Arad M, Haas TS, Spirito P, Wright GB, Almquist AK, Baffa JM, Saul JP, Ho CY, Seidman J, Seidman CE. Clinical outcome and phenotypic expression in LAMP2 cardiomyopathy. JAMA. 2009 Mar 25;301(12):1253-9.
- Yang Z, McMahon CJ, Smith LR, Bersola J, Adesina AM, Breinholt JP, Kearney DL, Dreyer WJ, Denfield SW, Price JF, Grenier M, Kertesz NJ, Clunie SK, Fernbach SD, Southern JF, Berger S, Towbin JA, Bowles KR, Bowles NE. Danon disease as an underrecognized cause of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in children.Circulation. 2005 Sep 13;112(11):1612-7. Epub 2005 Sep 6.