Other Names for this Disease
- 11p11.2 deletion
- Deletion of chromosome 11p11.2
- Proximal 11p deletion syndrome
Potocki-Shaffer syndrome is a contiguous gene deletion syndrome associated with deletions in a specific region of chromosome 11 (11p11.2). The characteristic features of Potocki-Shaffer syndrome include openings in the two bones that form the top and sides of the skull (enlarged parietal foramina), multiple benign bone tumors called exostoses, intellectual disability, developmental delay, a distinctive facial appearance, and problems with vision. The features of Potocki-Shaffer syndrome result from the loss of several genes on the short arm of chromosome 11.
Last updated: 1/11/2012
- Chromosome 11. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). March 2011; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/chromosome=11.
- Potocki-Shaffer syndrome. Orphanet. March 2006; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?Lng=GB&Expert=52022.0.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Potocki-Shaffer syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Potocki-Shaffer syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Potocki-Shaffer syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.