Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Chronic Ataxic Neuropathy Ophthalmoplegia M-protein Agglutination Disialosyl antibodies syndrome
- Chronic sensory ataxic neuropathy with anti-disialosyl antibodies
ataxia, tingling sensation on the skin around the mouth or extremities, paralysis of eye muscles, difficulty swallowing and speaking, and rarely respiratory muscle weakness. This condition is caused by the presence of anti-diasialosyl antibodies in the body. Oral or intravenous corticosteroids, ß-interferons, plasma exchange, intravenous immunoglobulin, and cytotoxic drugs have all been used in treating CANOMAD with limited success.CANOMAD syndrome is a rare chronic immune-mediated demyelinating polyneuropathy. CANOMAD stands for Chronic Ataxic Neuropathy Ophtalmoplegia IgM paraprotein Cold Agglutinins Disialosyl antibodies. Signs and symptoms of CANOMAD may include loss of muscle, tendon, and joint sensation, abnormal gait (walk),
Last updated: 3/18/2009
- Willison, et. al.,. The clinical and laboratory features of chronic sensory ataxic neuropathy with anti-disialosyl IgM antibodies. Brain. 2001;
- Scheinfeld NS, Godwin JE. Intravenous Immunoglobulin. eMedicine. 2008; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/210367-overview. Accessed 3/4/2009.
- Arbogast SD, Khanna S, Koontz DW, Tomsak RL, Katirji B, Leigh RJ. Chronic ataxic neuropathy mimicking dorsal midbrain syndrome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007 Nov;
- Relapsing sensorimotor neuropathy with ophthalmoplegia, antidisialosyl antibodies, and extramembranous glomerulonephritis. Delval A, Stojkovic T, Vermersch P. Muscle Nerve. 2006 Feb;
- CANOMAD syndrome. Orphanet. 2007; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=71279. Accessed 3/4/2009.
On this page
In Depth Information
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss CANOMAD syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.