Other Names for this Disease
- Der(22)t(11;22) syndrome
- Supernumerary der(22) syndrome
- Supernumerary der(22),t(11;22) syndrome
chromosome disorder that causes problems with physical and intellectual development. Signs and symptoms can vary but may include severe intellectual disability; small head size (microcephaly); failure to thrive; cleft palate or high-arched palate; small jaw (micrognathia); congenital heart defects; and abnormalities of the ears, kidneys, and/or male genitals. It is caused by having extra material from chromosomes 11 and 22 in each cell. Almost all people with Emanuel syndrome inherit the extra chromosome material from an unaffected parent with a balanced translocation. Treatment focuses on the specific signs and symptoms in each person.Emanuel syndrome is a
Last updated: 3/3/2015
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Emanuel syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.