Exploring Complementary Care
Complementary care refers to medical products and practices that may be used alongside traditional medicine to treat your disease or related symptoms. For example, complementary care treatments may include nutritional supplements, physical massage, or meditation. It is important to consider multiple factors when examining the use of complementary care, such as access to a provider, the available resources, and potential out-of-pocket costs.
How do you find accurate and reliable information?
- Understanding how to find and evaluate information about your health online can help guide your search for complementary care resources. Knowing the science behind your health can help you better evaluate available resources.
- Online tools can help you determine which resources provide accurate information on complementary and integrative health approaches. Recognizing which resources you can trust can help you find the correct combination of care for your disease.
What should you consider when evaluating complementary care?
- Finding the right practitioner is critical to creating a complementary care plan that works for you. Understanding how to evaluate a practitioner's experience treating your disease can help you find the most effective course of care.
- The use of complementary care practices may come with unexpected expenses. Being aware of what your insurance will or will not cover may help you to determine which complementary care practices to integrate into your treatment plans.
How can you learn more about alternative treatments used in complementary care?
- Resources on non-traditional health care options highlight a variety of topics. To learn more about alternative treatments, you may want to explore topics ranging from restorative massage to functional food.
- Alternative health care treatments can often include the use of herbs and botanicals, also known as plant-based additives. These fact sheets include common names, background information, scientific information, and additional resources.