Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia
- Gigantiform cementoma
Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia is characterized by lesions in the upper and/or lower jaw that occur when normal bone is replaced with a mix of connective tissue and abnormal bone. It tends to affect middle aged women, particularly women of African American and Asian descent. The lesions often affect both sides of the jaw and are symmetrical. The number, size, and shape of the lesions vary. Occasionally the lesions expand and may cause discomfort, pain, or mild disfigurement. The radiographic appearance of the lesions are important for diagnosis.
- Singer SR, Mupparapu M, Rinaggio J. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005 Jul; http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/136/7/927. Accessed 3/17/2010.
- Minhas G, Hodge T, Gill DS. J Orthod. 2008 Jun; http://jorthod.maneyjournals.org/cgi/content/full/35/2/90. Accessed 3/17/2010.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Minhas G, Hodge T, Gill DS. Orthodontic treatment and cemento-osseous dysplasia: a case report. J Orthod. 2008 Jun;35(2):90-5.
- Singer SR, Mupparapu M, Rinaggio J. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia and chronic diffuse osteomyelitis Report of a simultaneous presentation and review of the literature. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005 Jul;136(7):927-31.