Diffuse gastric cancer
Other Names for this Disease
- Signet cell adenocarcinoma
- Signet ring gastric carcinoma
- Signet ring cell carcinoma
- Signet ring cell gastric carcinoma
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Diffuse gastric cancer can be inherited or can happen sporadically in a family. Sporadic means that the cancer occurred randomly for the first time in a individual and was not inherited from a parent. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer (HDGC) is caused by mutations in the CDH1 gene. Individuals with a CDH1 mutation typically develop cancer before age 40.
Last updated: 12/16/2011
- Kaurah P, Huntsman DG. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer. GeneReviews. June 2011; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1139/. Accessed 9/30/2011.