Pure autonomic failure
Other Names for this Disease
- Bradbury Eggleston syndrome
- Bradbury-Eggleston syndrome
- Idiopathic orthostatic hypotension
- Idiopathic orthostatic hypotension (a symptom)
- Orthostatic hypotension (a symptom)
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 The autonomic nervous system is the part of our bodies that controls involuntary actions, such as the widening or narrowing of our blood vessels. Failure of this system can cause a variety of symptoms. The most common symptom of pure autonomic failure is orthostatic hypotension. Other symptoms may include decreased sweating, heat intolerance, inability to empty the bladder, erectile dysfunction, incontinence or constipation, and pupil changes. The cause of this condition is usually unknown.Pure autonomic failure is characterized by generalized autonomic failure without central nervous system (brain or spinal cord) involvement.
Last updated: 4/9/2015
- Low P. Pure Autonomic Failure. Merck Manual Online Medical Library. April 2013; http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/autonomic_nervous_system/pure_autonomic_failure.html?qt=Idiopathic%20orthostatic%20hypotension&sc=&alt=sh. Accessed 4/9/2015.
- Senard JM. Pure autonomic failure. Orphanet. January 2009; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=en&Expert=441. Accessed 4/9/2015.
- MedlinePlus, a Web site designed by the National Library of Medicine Web site to help you research your health questions, provides more information about autonomic nervous system disorders in general. Click on the link to view this information.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pure autonomic failure. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.