Other Names for this Disease
- 15q11.2 microdeletion syndrome
- Chromosome 15q11.2 deletion
- Chromosome 15q11.2 microdeletion
- Monosomy 15q11.2
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
chromosome abnormality in which a tiny piece of genetic material on the long arm of chromosome 15 (at a location designated q11.2) is missing (deleted). The features of people with a 15q11.2 microdeletion vary widely. The most common features include developmental, motor, and language delays; behavior and emotional problems; attention deficit disorders; and autism spectrum disorder. Other features may include birth defects and seizures. However, some people have no apparent physical, learning, or behavior problems. A 15q11.2 microdeletion may occur randomly for the first time in an affected person, or it may be inherited from a parent. Treatment depends on the signs and symptoms in each person.15q11.2 microdeletion refers to a
Last updated: 3/21/2015
- 15q11.2 microdeletions. Unique. 2012; http://www.rarechromo.org/information/Chromosome%2015/15q11.2%20microdeletions%20FTNW.pdf.
- Cox DM, Butler MG. The 15q11.2 BP1-BP2 Microdeletion Syndrome: A Review. Int J Mol Sci. February 13, 2015; 16(2):4068-4082.
- Unique is a source of information and support for families and individuals affected by rare chromosome disorders. Click on the link to view information about 15q11.2 microdeletion.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss 15q11.2 microdeletion. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.