Adenocarcinoma of the appendix
Other Names for this Disease
- Colonic type adenocarcinoma
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma
- Nonmucinous adenocarcinoma
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Adenocarcinoma of the appendix is a epithelial cancer of the appendix. The term 'epithelium' refers to cells that line hollow organs and glands and those that make up the outer surface of the body. Epithelial cells help to protect or enclose organs. Some produce mucus or other secretions. Types of adenocarcinoma of the appendix include mucinous adenocarcinoma, non-mucinous adenocarcinoma, and signet cell carcinoma of appendix (which is the rarer involving only 4% of all the subtypes of appendix cancer).Cancer of the appendix is very rare and is typically found incidentally during appendectomies, in about 1% of the cases. According to a report published by the National Cancer Institute, using the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database, appendix cancer account for about 0.4% of gastrointestinal tumors. There are several subytpes. The most common is the carcinoid type (66% of the total), with cyst-adenocarcinoma accounting for 20% and adenocarcinoma accounting for 10%. Then there are the rare forms of cancers which include adenocarcinoid, signet ring, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, ganglioneuroma, and pheochromocytoma. Benign primary tumors are mainly “mucinous epithelial neoplasms”, also called adenomas, cystadenoma, and benign neoplastic mucocele.
Last updated: 6/12/2015
- Ruoff C, Wanqing Zhi LH, Shahzad G, Gotlieb V & Wasif M. Cancers of the Appendix: Review of the Literatures. ISRN Oncology. June 26, 2011; 2011(2011):http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2011/728579/. Accessed 6/12/2015.
- Sarosi GA, Turnage RH.. Miscellaneous topics. In: Feldman et al, eds. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2006;
- Epithelium. MedlinePlus. June 11, 2012; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002363.htm. Accessed 6/12/2015.
- Ahmed K, Hoque R, El-Tawil S, Khan MS, George ML. Adenocarcinoma of the appendix presenting as bilateral ureteric obstruction. World J Surg Oncol. 2008 Feb 21;
- Cancer.Net, oncologist-approved cancer information from the American Society of Clinical Oncology, has information about appendix cancer. Click on the link to view the information.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Adenocarcinoma of the appendix. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.